Surgery After Massive Weight Loss
Losing a significant amount of weight, either through lifestyle changes or bariatric surgery, is a personal accomplishment requiring perseverance and commitment. For many individuals, though, the physical transformation that begins with weight loss feels incomplete because of loose and sagging skin that's left behind. Board-certified plastic surgeon and body contouring specialist Dr. Max Gouverne uses plastic surgery procedures after massive weight loss to help his patients in Corpus Christi achieve their cosmetic goals and complete their transformations.
Ready to learn more about how surgery after massive weight loss can boost your personal confidence? Request a consultation using our online form, or call our office directly at (361) 993-2222.
"I have already recommended Dr. Gouverne to friends interested in cosmetic work, and I will definitely be back. I am much more confident about my appearance since having my lower body lift procedure. Trying on new clothes is exciting for the first time in a long time!" *
*Client testimonials are based on personal experience. Individual results may vary.
See Dr. Gouverne's beautiful results for yourself with our stunning before-and-after gallery of real patients.
Patients who want plastic surgery after losing significant weight start the process by telling Dr. Gouverne what they want to achieve. In some cases, he may recommend staging procedures to avoid an overly long surgery, but many procedures can be combined into a single operation. Patients commonly want to target one or more of the following concerns:
- Hanging or loose skin around the abdomen or waist
- Excess skin on the limbs, especially the thighs and upper arms
- Loose skin of the face and neck
- Sagging breasts
Dr. Gouverne examines your body and discusses the best treatment options to suit your needs. He also talks about the incisions required and the tradeoff between attaining your cosmetic goals and the scars that some skin-removal procedures leave. This is a great time for you to ask questions about your potential so that you and Dr. Gouverne reach a level of trust and understanding ahead of your life-changing procedure.
Cosmetic surgery after weight loss restores aesthetically pleasing proportions by removing excess skin and fat. It also offers a huge emotional benefit, giving patients newfound confidence in their bodies.
Dr. Gouverne creates a custom surgical plan tailored to your specific needs. The most common post-weight loss surgery options include tummy tuck, body lift, butt lift, and arm lift procedures, among others. At our Corpus Christi practice, we offer the following options:
- Panniculectomy: The pannus is the apron of skin that hangs from the abdomen after weight loss or pregnancy. In some cases, excess skin and fat can hang well below belt level and cause skin irritation. A panniculectomy removes that excess skin, leaving a horizontal incision along the lower abdomen.
- Lower body lift (belt lipectomy): For loose skin in the buttocks, on both the front and back of thighs, and on the abdomen, a lower body lift offers a solution. Dr. Gouverne removes the loose skin and underlying fatty tissue using circumferential incisions (incisions that go from the back to the front of the body). Skin tightening, liposuction, or a tummy tuck can be combined with a lower body lift to create smoother, more well-defined contours.
- Upper arm lift: The "bat wings" associated with loose upper arm skin can be minimized through an upper arm lift. Using incisions on the inside of the upper arm, excess skin is removed. Liposuction may be used to remove fat.
- Thigh lift: Having toned and well-proportioned thighs is important to patients who want to wear shorts or a bathing suit following dramatic weight loss. The specific procedure required depends on the amount of excess skin and fat being removed. An inner thigh lift is the most popular procedure because the incision remains relatively hidden.
Post-weight loss plastic surgery may also include other more common breast and body contouring procedures, such as a tummy tuck, liposuction, or a breast lift. Facelift surgery is also a common choice to treat loose skin on the lower face and neck.
Dr. Gouverne provides you with more details on your surgical plan depending on which components you choose. He is highly experienced at combining procedures, and your safety is his No. 1 priority.
The nature of your recovery from plastic surgery after massive weight loss depends on the type of procedure or procedures performed. Detailed postoperative instructions are given to each patient. Recovery from these types of procedures requires patience. The first week is typically the most uncomfortable, and Dr. Gouverne is available at any time to answer any questions you might have.
In most cases, patients are bandaged and wearing compression garments similar to Spanx immediately after surgery. Surgical drains are also commonly used to remove excess fluid from the surgical sites. The duration of the recovery varies from patient to patient, but most can expect swelling, bruising, and numbness to persist for several weeks. It's important to be up and moving around as soon as possible to enhance the healing process and minimize the risk of certain complications. For the most part, though, you will spend the initial days after surgery resting.
You will notice changes immediately, but the full results won't be apparent until the swelling and bruising diminishes. Dr. Gouverne makes incisions so the resulting scars are as small and inconspicuous as possible. He does this by hiding them in natural creases whenever possible. Scars often fade over time, and ultimately the improved contours are well worth the scars.