Many patients that are concerned bout their abdominal shape are contemplating either a tummy-tuck or abdominal liposuction as a solution. Each technique is very effective but they must be used in the appropriate clinical presentation.
Dr. Gouverne’s Top Five© Reasons Why a Tummy Tuck Is a Better Choice For Abdominal Rejuvenation:
1. Stretched out skin after multiple pregnancies. This is by far one of the most common reasons why an abdominoplasty is the better choice. Pregnancies not only stretch the abdominal skin but you actually grow more skin. After you deliver there is more skin that is stretched-out as well. Frequently the skin is of poor quality as well. Removal of the excess skin is part of every abdominoplasty.
2. Excess skin after massive weight loss. Almost all patients request abdominoplasty after significant weight loss, especially after age 35. The skin is past the maximum spring-back and excisional surgery is the only option. Removal of fat only makes this condition worse.
3. Compromise of the anterior musculo-fascial envelope. If the core abdominal structure has lost its integrity an abdominoplasty is required to allow a repair. This is frequently seen with twin pregnancies in a small woman with narrow pelvis.
4. Ventral and umbilical hernias. These common defects frequently occur after laparoscopic surgeries and with larger pregnancies. These bulges are typically repaired during the tummy-tuck.
5. The deformity is not due to excess fat. Old abdominal incisions, trauma deformities, and many other problems are typically addressed with one of the tummy-tuck operations.
Also check out the top five reasons why liposuction is a better choice for abdominal contouring.
For more information on any services or to schedule a consultation call 361-993-2222